Monday, August 9, 2010

B.o.B. (feat. Hayley Williams) -- "Airplanes" (2010)


Can we pretend that
Airplanes in the night sky 
Are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now

If you listen to top-40 radio, or your kids listen to top-40 radio, you've heard this song about a thousand times in the last month.  

"Airplanes" – officially credited to B.o.B., but which also features Hayley Williams of Paramore (who sings the chorus) – hit the top 10 on "American Top 40 featuring Ryan Seacrest" the week of June 5, moved into the number one spot the week of July 10, and has held on to the number two spot ever since. 

Ryan Seacrest at age 19

The song tells a familiar story – that of the unknown young performer who dreams of making it big and eventually achieves that dream, only to find that stardom isn't all that it's cracked up to be.  In this song, his wish is that he makes it on to an about-to-depart flight that will take him away from the "all the partyin' and smashin' and crashin'/and all the glitz and the glam and the fashion" and back to his home, where he will reunite with friends and family members who care him about him regardless of whether he's a star or not.

*     *     *     *     *

Blogging about a current top-40 hit is a drastic departure from my usual pattern, but I do like this song – the chorus gets into your head, and the song as a whole is superior (in my opinion, at least) to most current pop hits.  But to tell the truth, that's not really why I'm writing about it.

It's all about the visits, the views, and – especially – the clicks, folks.  I'm under some pressure from a woman with the same last name with whom I share this house to quit frittering away my time blogging, so I need to monetize that bad boy and do so in a hurry.  

Here's my plan.  My blog set records a couple of weeks when I was posting on a daily basis (even though most of those posts related to 40-year-old songs and my high school years, and were of interest to a very limited audience).  

Last week, when I took a rest, my hits plummeted – all the way down into single digits on a couple of days.  But when I added two new posts over the weekend – one of which was about about a relatively hip and new group – it was straight to the moon, Alice!

I figure the combination of a current hit song and a brand-new post, is going to generate hits beyond my wildest dreams.  (Did I hear someone mutter "sellout" under their breath?  Such an ugly word.)  

Or at least that's what I wished for earlier this evening when I saw an airplane in the night sky that looked a bit like a shooting star.

Click here to view the official music video for "Airplanes."

Click below to buy today's featured record from Amazon:

1 comment:

  1. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete