Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Heavy -- "How You Like Me Now?" (2009)



How you like me now?
How you like me now?
How you like me now?
How you like me now?


Christian Bale: this
year's "Best Actor"?
I saw the movie "The Fighter" today -- a very good and very intense movie.  Christian Bale is a great actor and a very scary guy -- sort of a younger version of Christopher Walken.  But this isn't a movie blog, is it?

This blog isn't about yoga pants either, but that's been a big topic of discussion at my house today.  The principal at my son's high school has announced that girls are no longer allowed to wear yoga pants to school.

This has caused a HUGE uproar among students and parents, and a bunch of girls are threatening to all wear yoga pants in protest.  They've asked some of the boys at the school -- including my son -- to support them by also wearing yoga pants.  (I'm reminded of Lysistrata.)

Yoga pants
There is one thing I can say with absolute certainty: my son will NOT be wearing yoga pants to school tomorrow.  I suppose we are powerless to prevent him from changing once he gets to school.  If he knows what's good for him, he won't.

"The Fighter" includes a scene with a brief excerpt from this song.  I knew I had heard this unbelievably catchy little hook somewhere before , but couldn't put my finger on when and where.

A visit to YouTube quickly revealed that the song was used as the soundtrack to the 2010 SuperBowl ad for the Kia Sorento.  It was the creepy ad where a kid's sock monkey and other toys came to life and went out and partied like it was 1999.

Here's the :60 version of the ad:




"How You Like Me Now"samples the song "Let A Woman Be A Woman," by Dyke and the Blazers, a James Brown-ish funk band from the 60's.  Dyke and the Blazers are best known for "Funky Broadway," which they released in 1967.  (Wilson Pickett's cover version of that song was a #1 R&B hit later that year.)  The band's frontman, Arlester "Dyke" Christian was shot and killed in 1971, when he was just 27. 

Here's the official music video for "How You Like Me Now":




Here's "Let A Woman Be A Woman":




Here's a link you can use to buy "How You Like Me Now" from iTunes:

How You Like Me Now (Single Edit) - The House That Dirt Built


Here's a link you can use to buy it from Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment