Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Kaiser Chiefs – "Retirement" (2007)


I want to retire
No longer required

I walked out of my law firm office for the last time today.  I’m officially retired.

Gary has left the building
It’s the custom at my firm for departing lawyers to send a farewell e-mail to everyone when they leave.  Here’s the e-mail I sent out today:

Today is my last day at Venable.

I started work here in March 1995, when my youngest child was only five months old.  I had been commuting from my home in the Washington suburbs to a job in Philadelphia every Monday morning and driving back home every Friday evening for a couple of years, and coming to work at Venable enabled me to see my family every day instead of just on the weekends.

It’s pretty simple for me to explain what Venable has meant to me and my family.  Venable paid for my four children to go to college and graduate school.  Venable paid for the house I’ve lived in since 1997.  Because of Venable, I have enough in my 401(k) to be able to retire at age 65.

I wish all of you continued success and happiness.  I’ll think of you often.

*     *     *     *     *

“Retirement” is the final track on the Kaiser Chiefs’ second album, Yours Truly, Angry Mob, which was released in 2007.  (For some reason, that album was released three days earlier in Belgium and the Netherlands than in the rest of the world.)

Here’s “Retirement”:



Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment